Sunday, November 22, 2009

Snow Canyon Half Marathon

A few weekends ago I ran the Snow Canyon Half Marathon in St. George. Despite being a fairly avid runner since intermediate school I've never ran a half marathon. It's really the first time I really had something to train for since high school, so it was really good for me. There was perfect weather that day and the run was just beautiful. The first 9 miles were through Snow Canyon State Park and it was really pretty. Lots of cool red rock formations and stuff. This is me at mile 9 and feeling pretty good. Tim was a pal and came down with me. I was actually hurting a little here so I had him fill up my waist water holder thing I borrowed from Kelii and meet me down the road with it so I wouldn't have to stop at the aid stations.


I finished in 2:03:01, which was a lot faster than I anticipated. I was very satisfied for it being my first race ever. During the whole race I felt pretty bad about myself because there were all these old ladies that passed me. I guess I'm not in as great shape as I thought.


Despite the look on my face in the next picture I was not feeling very good when I finished. My lungs were fine, but my legs were not. The first 3 miles were really steep downhill and really killed my legs. I knew it was going to be downhill going in, but I didn't realize a 7% grade was that steep. That and the fact that I ran it 15 minutes faster than I did when I trained probably killed my legs.


It was a lot of fun though and I think I'll run 1 or 2 more next summer. I'm already running the Wasatch Back next summer, a 12 man 188 mile relay from Logan to Park City, with a group of people from work. That should put me in pretty good shape for another half!

3 comments:

  1. We're proud of you Becky!! Good job! Kaniela would love you to strap him to your back for the next one...how's that sound?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your my inspiration Becky! Someday I'm going to follow in your footsteps and run a race too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Becky!
    I was on your FaceBook and saw you have a blog! I LOVE BLOGSPOT! Feel free to check out my blog =). Good job on the race too. Where in Utah are you guys living now?

    ReplyDelete